10 Reasons to Visit the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum
Make sure our beautiful Museum in Amarillo is on your must-see list as you plan your next vacation.
May 19, 2018
The American Quarter Horse Association
Conveniently located on I-40 in Amarillo, the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum is a friendly beacon for travelers from across the globe. Around 35,000 visitors stop by each year, and feedback proves that the Museum is a great attraction for avid horsemen, children, western art fans and a wide variety of tastes and interests.
“If you love museums, this will be among your favorites,” said “gwandeleanorf” on TripAdvisor. “If you don't, prepare to reconsider. A great place to spend an afternoon.”
Here are 10 reasons you should include the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum on your must-see list:
- Free admission for AQHA and AQHYA members! If you’re a member of the world’s largest equine breed association, we welcome you to the Museum free of charge. If you’re not a member, admission is just $7 for adults and discounted for seniors and children.
- The breathtaking Grand Hall. You’ll be compelled to honor the amazing people and horses who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame.
- Available guided tours, including a digital guide to follow along via your phone.
- Gorgeous bronze statues. Greeting you outside the Museum are numerous prominent American Quarter Horse bronze statues representing many facets of the horse industry.
- Ever-changing exhibits. If you’ve recently visited the Museum, chances are we have a new exhibit for you to enjoy in the Scharbauer Gallery. We take great efforts to provide exhibits that attract a wide audience of all ages.
- Interactivity for kids. The Joni Hegel Education Gallery teaches kids about the joys of being around Quarter Horses, including tack, feed, health and medical needs and all the great activities you can enjoy with the world’s most popular horse.
- Reading Room. Available upon request, sit a spell in this tranquil room and enjoy the hundreds of books and other resources that chronicle the history of the Quarter Horse.
- Timeline exhibits. Journey through the decades as you live the excitement of major milestones in the Quarter Horse industry.
- Ken and Laina Banks Theater. The 10-minute video featured in this beautiful theater is a great way to kick off your museum visit. The video teaches about our breed and the many roles our horse plays in our world. In the theater, you’ll also enjoy many beautiful Orren Mixer paintings.
- Conveniently located on I-40. Whether you’re staying in Amarillo for a few days or just passing through on your way west or east, the Museum is an easy stop off the interstate and an outstanding way to enjoy a travel break while learning new facts about our industry.